Second hand Media Center (MCE)
A PC equipped with Windows XP Media Centre Edition (XP MCE) can be used for many functions not normally associated with computing. With XP MCE you can connect a PC to a television and use it to play back DVDs and movies and even pause live TV. With the new MCE Extender boxes you can even transmit video and music to multiple screens around the house.
In the past you could only get XP MCE with a new PC (you couldn’t buy the operating system on its own) it is now possible to buy a second hand Media Centre PC and use it as the hub of your digital entertainment system.
Like with many goods a second hand Media Center (MCE) can probably be found on ebay and better still you can register free.
Media Center (MCE) Buying Tips
- If you have the opportunity run scan disk to check that the hard disk is ok
- If it comes with a TFT check it for dead pixels
- If the Media Center (MCE) is running slowly it may just need more memory which can be purchased relatively cheaply nowadays
- If you are going to take your Media Center (MCE) with you when travelling try to get a carry case included in the price
- If the BIOS is password protected you need to get the password off the seller
- If the machine still has some warranty make sure the it allows ownship to be transfered
- Ensure you get all manuals and the original discs and licenses that came with the Media Center (MCE)
Media Center (MCE) Selling Tips
The following sample adverts are based on those found in the classified section of various local newspapers. If you are thinking of putting your up for sale you can base your ad on any of the following.
Great Value Media Center (MCE)
17 inch screen, CDRW, 2.4 GHZ Processor
Very Old Media Center (MCE)
Runs Windows 98 but fine for browsing the web
1 Year old Media Center (MCE)
Fast machine, 1 GB memory, large hard disc
Media Center (MCE) for Sale
Only 6 months old hardly used, comes complete with XP professional
Related Pages: Laptop
- Apple Mac
- Dell Dimension
- Computer Games